Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Single Review: KAT-TUN's "In Fact"



KAT-TUN is a Johnny's Entertainment group that has put our hearts through the ringer a time or two. Akanishi's decision to leave the group in 2010 to go solo was not incredibly unexpected as he had previously shown an interest in performing English-language music, and the split seemed fairly amicable since he remained a part of Johnny's up until his decision to make a permanent split in 2014. The firing of Koki Tanaka in 2013 was a little bit more shocking, although the fandom was already aware of his contract violations (and Johnny's isn't exactly known for turning a blind eye, now is it?). Trimming KAT-TUN down to a four member group was heartbreaking for many, especially since it continually altered the overall sound of the group. I was personally a bit less affected by it since I'd practically gone through the exact same thing with NEWS, my first JE group, but I was still interested to see how the group would be able to recover, first with kusabi, and now with their In Fact single release and upcoming album.


So does In Fact promise that good things are ahead for this fresh foursome? Let's see how Taguchi, Kamenashi, Nakamaru, and Ueda fare!


In Fact: The single album leads off with the brand new single "In Fact," the theme to Nakamaru's new drama. From what I've seen of their new album's tracklist, it doesn't look like this track will be included, so if you're on board with this single, it's a good idea to invest in purchasing it, since you won't be seeing it again on come Here. 

Though short of their rapper, KAT-TUN still manages to deliver up a very KAT-TUN-esque sound with this track. It's not their most mind blowing number, for sure, but it's still an infectious and fun dance track, and the video proves that it suits their dance skills quite nicely. The lyrics are by far some of my favorites from their recent works, on the other hand, so be sure to drop by your favorite KAT-TUN livejournal sub community to check out the translation.
Overall, I would have to argue that the loss of Tanaka keeps KAT-TUN from sounding as well-rounded as they used to, but does not completely destroy their overall sound as a group. The remaining members can't really compensate for the hole in the rap department, but the trademark Johnny's vocals are still there, and their sound is still enjoyable enough to sustain them as a group, just like with NEWS. You won't hear me calling for disbandment!


Believe in Myself: Out of all the In Fact tracks, I'd pick this one out as the one that would be the most appealing to the broad base of Johnny's fans. It's got the spirited sound, the uplifting lyrics, and the infectious, pulsing dance beat that has made us fall in love with Arashi and NEWS and Kisumai and all the others over and over again through the years. Kame has always been one of my favorite JE vocalists because he's good at avoiding sounding super sharp while still staying in the high range preferred in J-Pop, and once again, this is a KAT-TUN track that will appeal to both the old KAT-TUN listeners and the new.



Birds: If you loved "in the DARK" from their "Fumetsu no Scrum" single release, this one will be your track off the single album. The vocals are some of the best on In Fact, and slower verses combined with the more upbeat chorus keep things from sounding too sleepy on any part of the track. It's another great lyrical number as well, which makes me wish I was just a wee bit better at understanding the Japanese naturally without first having to work out the English. J-Pop lyrics are gorgeous and poetic, and the melody of this track suits the message seamlessly.


Black: When the song starts off with a police siren, it raises a few concerns that they're going to venture into rap territory and not pull it off well without Tanaka, but KAT-TUN pleasantly surprised me in this track with their well-executed vocal-layering and harmonies in this funky number. It's a great sound for them, but I would still argue that their repeated refrain of "black, black, black" sounds dangerously close to "blah blah blah," which somewhat undermines the skills they show off in the verses. It's only a matter of foreign pronunciation, but it does jar you a little bit as an international listener. Otherwise, not a bad addition to the album.


Dangerous: As much as I like the whistling on this track, this was the one I was most indifferent to on the single album. It's catchy and there's nothing in particular wrong with the vocals, but after so many years as a J-Pop and K-Pop fan, I already have an Ipod full of songs about dangerous boys and dangerous girls and dangerous love and kisses and touches that it just doesn't happen to be very exciting or dangerous subject for me anymore. You're a few years too late to be able to win me over with this, KAT-TUN!


My Secret: I'm a sucker for KAT-TUN slow tracks, so even though people seemed to be half-and-half about this one on the forums, I absolutely fell for their "that's my secret" harmonies on the chorus. The verses are gorgeous, but I do agree that the chorus tries to speed it up unnecessarily right before those aforementioned harmonies hit. They've done more cohesive ballads in their day, but I still managed to connect with this one thanks to the loveliness of their high tone notes.


Overall, I'd place the overall single album in the B+ range. It's a promising taste of what's to come for come Here album, and while there is a sense of vacancy left by Tanaka's departure, it's nothing that the remaining members can't survive through (I mean, hey, at least it's not Tackey & Tsubasa losing a member!). Since "In Fact" won't be on the album, it's worth investing in since you get five solid tracks along with the single, which in the K-Pop fandom, we'd shell out around twenty dollars for in the name of having a "mini-album." As with NEWS, I'm still going to keep my faith in KAT-TUN, though I'm sure we'll all look back fondly on the glory days. This is the reality of KAT-TUN now, and it isn't a bad one, in my opinion!

1 comment:

  1. I honestly like this single. It sounds mature, yet still has that KAT-TUN flavor. I also thought of "in the Dark" (one of my favorite KT ballad) when I first heard "Birds".

    ReplyDelete