Pages

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Kris Leaving SM Entertainment: How can we allow this to keep happening?





It's been reported that Kris from EXO-M is filing a lawsuit to end his contract with SM Entertainment.

Had this been any other label, I would have been shocked and disappointed, like I was when Nicole and Jiyoung chose to leave KARA. But I'm not shocked. I'm not even angry with Kris for "abandoning" his group in the middle of promotions and at the height of their popularity. This is just another incident in the long list of SM Entertainment having legal issues for mistreating their groups. H.O.T. SES. Shinhwa. Super Junior's Hangeng. My personal heartbreak, JYJ splitting from TVXQ. Maybe the first few times we blamed the members of the group for being difficult, but this has obviously not been the case. Junsu can't make it through TVXQ medleys without crying over missing the group, so many of Jaejoong's songs represent how much the split tore him apart, and the members of SuJu still miss and love Hangeng. These artists clearly didn't want to leave their groups, but couldn't ignore the way they were being treated.

So why does this keep happening? When VIXX's label Jellyfish Entertainment was having issues with the fans, the fans quickly arranged a boycott to wake the label up, and it was effective. But Jellyfish is a smaller label, and VIXX is their only major group. How can we prevent SM from overworking and misusing their artists? Would that involve boycotting TVXQ, SHINee, Super Junior, f(x), EXO, and Girls' Generation? I personally would have a difficult time with that, particularly with TVXQ, because the members of these groups are great and talented individuals, and most were the first K-Pop acts I started supporting. Yunho and Changmin went through a difficult time right along with JYJ, so how can I refuse to support them as individuals just because I disagree with how their label managed them and their former members? But how else do we keep these lawsuits from happening? I'm sick of seeing the groups I love suffering, I hate that people still make Hangeng + JYJ out to be the bad guys for leaving, and I hate that important members have to be separated from their friends because SM Entertainment blacklists them. EXO is the most popular group in Korea right now, and I feel if nothing changes this time around, nothing ever will. I'm saddened by this situation, but what will it take for us fans to make a difference?


I'm sure the Korean fans are just as confused and lost as the rest of us right now. I'm sure even the members of EXO are at a loss considering how sudden Kris's actions were, as well as the fact that they fell right in the middle of "Overdose" promotions. Most of the members have unfollowed him on SNS, and others like Suho have made cryptic comments regarding his decision (then again, SM could be pulling the strings here, too). I can only hope the Korean fans won't turn their back on Kris and will instead consider how to support both him and EXO, which I'm sure the majority will. I also hope the members will choose their words wisely and not continue to hurt each other because of this situation. Kris's timing may not have been ideal, but he is a person and deserves to be treated like one by his management, which is something I am sure his fellow members should be able to understand. The reason fans have been able to hold out hope for a TVXQ reunion so long is that members still continue to support each other in little ways behind the scenes; they most certainly do not hate each other, even though their actions may have hurt one another in the past. I don't want anything more painful to happen to Kris, or to EXO, but as an overseas fan I feel so powerless. What can I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment